Dr CHAN Pui Man Poemen
MBBS (HKU), M.ResMed (HKU), FRCS (Edin), FCOphth (HK), FHKAM (Ophth)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Coordinator, Glaucoma Service, CUHK Eye Centre
- Academic Coordinator, Glaucoma Service, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
- Honorary Associate Consultant, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
- Honorary Associate Consultant, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
- International Member, Asia Pacific Glaucoma Society
Dr Poemen Chan graduated from The University of Hong Kong with multiple scholarships and awards, including CP Fong Gold Medal in Medicine, H.C. Liu Prizes in Anatomy, Mr & Mrs S. H. Wong Foundation Scholarship, BL Wong Scholarships and Yu Chun Keung Mem. Scholarships. He was trained in Hong Kong Eye Hospital since 2007 and was promoted associated consultant in 2014. During his ophthalmology training, he granted the HC Ho Medical Education Foundation Scholarship for his overseas clinical visit in Moorfield’s Eye Hospital (London, UK) and Prism’s Eye Institute (Toronto, Canada). During the service, he received the Best Poster Display Award in the Hospital Authority Convention 2014, Outstanding Staff and Team Award in Hospital Authority Convention 2016 and The Best Service Provider award of Hong Kong Eye Hospital.
Dr Chan is currently the coordinator of the CUHK-HKEH-PWH International Fellowship Programme, the programme director of glaucoma surgery subspecialty for the CUHK Jockey Club Ophthalmic Microsurgical Training Programme and the Academic Coordinator of the glaucoma service of Hong Kong Eye Hospital. He serves as glaucoma subspecialty liaison for World Ophthalmology Congress (WOC) 2018, Secretary of glaucoma subspecialty for The 33rd Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) Congress 2018 and as International Advisory Committee of The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology- Asia (ARVO-Asia) in 2017.
- Ocular hypertension – risk assessment and cost effectiveness of treatment
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of glaucoma treatment
- New surgical techniques of glaucoma surgery
- Risk assessment of glaucoma
- Angle closure glaucoma and normal tension glaucoma
|Glaucoma Subspecialty Liaison and Session Chairs||World Ophthalmology Congress 2018 (Spain)|
|Coordinator/Secretary and Session Chairs (Glaucoma Subspecialty program)||The 33rd Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Congress 2018 (Hong Kong)|
|International Advisory Committee||The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology-Asia 2017 (Australia)|
- To development of a system of cost-effective treatment in Ophthalmology.
- To investigate the variability of risk estimation in glaucoma.
- To investigate the long term results of untreated ocular hypertension in Asian population.
- Development of a new surgical technique of conjunctival closure in trabeculectomy.
Results of Note
- Developed a safe, protocol-driven system of reducing medication use for patients with ocular hypertension
- Demonstrated that combined phacotrabeculectomy is more cost-effective than phacoemulsification alone for treating primary angle closure glaucoma
- Demonstrated the importance of medication cost and how this would affect the cost-effectiveness of treatment in primary angle closure glaucoma
- Demonstrated how different methods of assessing vertical cup-to-disc ratio could affect the risk assessment for untreated ocular hypertensive eyes and how such variability could affect treatment decision.
- Chan PPM, Chiu VSM, Wong MOI. Variability of vertical cup to disc ratio measurement and the effects of glaucoma 5-year risk estimation in untreated ocular hypertensive eyes. Br J Ophthalmol 2018 Jun 1 [Epub ahead of print]
- Cheung CY, Li SL, Chan N, Wong M, Chan P, Lai I, Baig N, Tan S, Man X, Tang F, Wang YM, Tham CC. Factors associated with long-term intraocular pressure fluctuation in primary angle closure disease: The CUHK PACG Longitudinal (CUPAL) Study. J Glaucoma 2018 Jun 4 [Epub ahead of print]
- Chan PP, Li EY, Tsoi KF, Kwong YY, Tham CC. Cost-effectiveness of phacoemulsification versus combined phacotrabeculectomy for treating primary angle closure glaucoma. J Glaucoma 2017;26:911-22.
- Chan PP, Tham CC. Commentary on effectiveness of early lens extraction for the treatment of primary angle-closure glaucoma (EAGLE). Ann Eye Sci. 2017. Apr 22; 2(21):1-4.
- Chan PP, Leung CK, Chiu V, Gangwani R, Sharma A, So S, Congdon N. Protocol-driven adjustment of ocular hypotensive medication in patients at low risk of conversion to glaucoma. Br. J Ophthalmol. 2015 Mar 2 [Epub ahead of print]
- Tan S, Yu M, Baig N, Chan PP, Tang FY, Tham CC. Circadian intraocular pressure fluctuation and disease progression in primary angle closure glaucoma. IOVS 2015;56:4994-5005.
- Chan PP, Li EY, Tham CC. Cost-effectiveness in the treatment of glaucoma (Review). US Ophthalmic Review, 2014;7(2):131–6.
- Chan PP and Leung CK – “Spectral-domain Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging of the Eye” Vinekar A and Avadhani K. Elsevier. 2013. Three textbook chapters: 1. Angle Imaging; 2. Anterior Chamber Angle and Iris configuration Changes After Peripheral Laser Iridotomy; 3. Glaucoma Drainage Device – Imaging
- Fok AC, Chan PP, Lam DS, Lai TY.Risk Factors for Recurrence of Serous Macular Detachment in Untreated Patients with Central Serous Chorioretinopathy. Ophthalmic Res. 2011 Mar 10;46(3):160-163. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fok AC, Luk FO, Wong VW, Chan PP, Lai TY. Patient comfort levels and treatment parameters in laser photocoagulation: comparison of patterned scanning versus single spot laser machines. HKJO (15:2) 2011
- Leung DY, Iliev ME, Chan P, Baig N, Chi SC, Tham CC, Lam DS. Pressure-cornea-vascular index (PCVI) for predicting disease progression in normal tension glaucoma. Br J Ophthalmol. 2010 Aug 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Leung DYL, Chan PPM, Tham CCY, Lam DSC. Normal tension glaucoma: risk factors pertaining to a sick eye in a sick body (Review). HKJO (13:1) 2009; 15-21.